Friday, April 18, 2008

Delicious 13



I fired up a del.icio.us account under the peaisforpurl username (I now have to maintain a googledoc that lists all my accounts, user names, passwords and email affiliations.)and tagged some websites--I must say that the word "tag" is now "overdetermined" and since I have an endless fascination with words let's play with the "tagging" phenomenon. On my tool bar now is an icon that looks like a luggage tag. This is what I click on to let my d account know that the current website will be added to my bookmarks. I can also apply "tags" or descriptors to that bookmark to add to the cloudbursts of descriptors in my account as well as to the mushrooming cloud in the tag universe of del.icio.us. I can look at all of my bookmarks with a particular tag. I can look at all of my tags. Tagging also refers to what graffiti artists do which to me means making an individual identifying and identifiable mark on the landscape's skin for all to see. When you play a game of tag you are tapping or striking someone b/c they have been "caught" and are now tagged "it" The "it" has a new identity and becomes tagger. Tag=identity, tag=designator, tag=marker but it does not replace anything, it is just a means of identifying sort of the way a catalog card used to do and hey that looks like a kind of paper tag and also if you are a scrapbooker (the bricks and mortar kind) then you know about the tag rage among scrapbookers-- So much of what this technology is promulgating is a kind of "cut and paste" universe. No judgment just an observation.

No comments: